Parks and Development Committee
- Date: 07/11/2007 6:15 PM
- Location: Rolling Meadows Meeting Room
1155 S. Military Rd
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935
PARKS AND DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE July 11, 2007
Convened at 6:15 pm Adjourned at 7:40 p.m.
A meeting of the Parks and Development Committee was held on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 @ Rolling Meadows Meeting Room @ 6:15 p.m. with the following members present:
STENZ - 6:35 to 7:40 p.m.
BEHNKE - 6:40 to 7:40 p.m.
ALBRECHT - 6:35 to 7:40 p.m.
BIRSCHBACH - absent
MEYER - 6:35 to 7:40 p.m.
Also present: Sam Tobias, David Brandenburg and Allen Buechel, (see citizen’s attendance sheet).
Meeting called to order by Mr. Stenz.
Motion (Albrecht/Meyer) to approve the June 6, 2007 meeting minutes. Motion carried.
Citizen’s input – no input at this time.
Golf Course rounds, revenue, conditions, budget and activity discussion –
· Rounds – June rounds show that permit rounds, weekday adult 18 rounds, junior 18 and 9 hold rounds are up slightly. Punch card, weekday 9, weekend and senior 18 and 9 hold rounds are down slightly. A formal mid-season rounds report will be handed out next month.
· Revenues – Preliminary numbers show revenues to be up slightly
· Conditions – The golf course is in great condition. The weather has been good – several league rain outs from morning or afternoon storms.
· Budget – as expected to-date with no surprises
· Activities – Large July events include the South Valley Open (115 players-2 days), the Wisconsin Women’s State Golf Association 2 person best ball (120 players) and 15 to 20 events of 30 or 50 players.
Golf Professional summary of contract performance – David provided a copy of his evaluation and everything is as expected. Motion to place a copy of the Golf Professional Summary of Contract performance – July 2007 on file. Motion carried.
Golf Course 10-year review follow-up discussion – follow up discussion from meetings with the other County committees.
Monthly Planning and Parks Report (July 2007) –
· Riggs County Park – Work on the current park improvements is about 99% complete. The job should be complete in a few weeks.
· Adams School – Project is complete
· Waupun Park – the demolition project is about 90% complete. The campgrounds host sites are finished except for final grading and seeding.
· Eisenbahn Trail – signed agreement with CN for track removal has been received. Terry is still working through the permitting process for a culvert needed to extend the trail into the village park in Eden. Once we know the permit is coming, the CN will be contacted to see where they are at with the track removal project.
· Landfill – the landfill flare continues to operate with fluctuations in the methane content and the flare temperature.
· Firewood – Sam handed out a survey complied by Katie Sheely on firewood policies for private and public campgrounds around the County. There are a few voluntary efforts this year to limit importation of out-of-area firewood for the purpose of limiting the spread of Emerald Ash Borer into Fond du Lac County. Sam proposes that serious consideration be given to prohibit people from bringing firewood into our parks that allow campfires – Waupun and Columbia Parks. Firewood is offered for sale at both parks (wood from within the parks – deadfalls). Staff will continue to monitor this issue and bring in a recommendation for a possible ordinance change this fall.
· Park fees – Sam provided the January-June 2007 report on fees collected at both Columbia and Waupun Parks. It appears that closing of the pool in Waupun has had little or no impact on campground revenue.
· Prairie Trail – staff is fielding calls on the future park and ride lot/trailhead located on the east side of Martin Road and the new Martin Road bridge over the railroad that goes to Eden. It is no longer possible to access the trailhead due to the big change in the finished grade of Martin Avenue. Although there is no set date, pending residential development will provide an alternate access point for the trailhead and the city water tower.
Campgrounds report – memo, dated July 10, 2007, on file in the County Clerk’s office. Revenues are up over same time 2006.
Report by the County Executive on the Radio Communication Interoperability Project – update provided. Project is currently out for bid. Target date is Labor Day, 2008 (for completion)
Committee feedback (Allen Buechel) – see information under the Golf Course 10 year budget review follow-up discussion (above)
Motion (Behnke/Albrecht) to put Golf Course per Golf Course performance contract report are on file.
Next meeting date – August 1, 2007 @ 6:15 p.m.
Future agenda items – 1) discussion of whether we charge interest on loan balance for golf course debt; 2) Golf Course rounds, revenue, conditions, budget and activity discussion; 3) Monthly planning and Parks report; 4) Review of governance of Park regulations and 5) Calvary Marsh report by Sam Tobias.
Motion by Meyer to adjourn at 7:40 p.m. Motion carried.