The Raube Road Site is one of Wisconsin’s few remaining intact Old Military Road segments from the state’s territorial period. Located on farmland purchased by Albert and Martha Raube in 1911, this 123-foot-long Military Road segment was part of the first constructed roadway to cross Wisconsin. Originally planned as an Army supply and communication route between Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, Fort Winnebago at Portage and Fort Howard at Green Bay, the 234-mile-long road was surveyed and built between 1832 and 1837. Fort Winnebago troops constructed the Poynette to the Fond du Lac River section using oxen and hand tools during the summer of 1835. The road’s marshy areas were filled with bundles of brush, tree limbs and stone while smaller streams were bridged with large logs. Preserved by the Raube family, “The Old Road” was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.