Upcoming Events in Fond du Lac County
Tuesday, June 25th at 1pm
Thursday, June 27th at 2pm
Veterans and Medicare
Monday, July 15th at 11am at American Legion Hall
General Information/Resources for Seniors
Reference Income and Asset limits listed for 2019. If you fall within these limits, you may be eligible for extra financial help.
General Benefit Specialist information poster
Programs that will save you on your Medicare costs and prescription drug costs
Programs that will save on your Medicare costs and extra income help
If you need to report Medicare fraud or suspect your billing may be fraudulent, please contact Senior Medicare Patrol
Help and programs available to seniors that are veterans and Medicare eligible
Fond du Lac County needs volunteers at their Senior Dining Meal Sites. Each time you volunteer, you receive a free meal. Mileage is also reimbursed to volunteers.
Who is eligible for Elder Benefit Specialist Services?
Anyone 60 years of age and older that resides in Fond du Lac County is eligible to receive services through the Elder Benefit Specialist program.
Who should seek help from a Benefit Specialist?
Older persons who want to know more about any private or public benefit, older persons who need help in organizing the paperwork to apply for benefits, older persons who have been denied a benefit that they think they are entitled to receive, and businesses that have questions regarding their employees that are Medicare-eligible.
What can Benefit Specialists do?
Provide accurate and current information on your benefits, suggest alternative actions that you can take to secure benefits or appeal denials of benefits, advocate on your behalf with other parties, explain what legal action or other possible solution is required, and refer you to an appropriate attorney when necessary.
What does the Elder Benefits Specialist service cost?
The program is supported with funds from the State of Wisconsin and the Federal Older Americans Act. There is no charge for the service, but the persons assisted by the program are welcome to make a donation. Services will not be refused or limited in any way if no contribution is made. Services are provided directly by the Fond du Lac County Department of Senior Services. All donated funds will be used to expand the program.
Where can I find the Elder Benefit Specialist?
Fond du Lac County’s Elder Benefit Specialist has an office at the City/County Building at 160 S. Macy St. Fond du Lac, WI 54935 on 3rd floor in the Senior Services Department. Additionally, the Elder Benefit Specialist goes to all 10 of Fond du Lac County’s dining sites each month to do short presentations and set up appointments with seniors at those locations. To find out which days the Elder Benefit Specialist will be at meal sites, visit our website to view the schedule.
Benefit Specialists can help you with a variety of programs and issues, including:
Health Insurance & Access
- Medicare A, B, C, and D
- BadgerCare+ denial or reduction in benefits
- Extra help with Prescription Drug Costs
- Medicare Supplement Insurance Coverage Issues
- Other Health Insurance Coverage Issues
- Medicaid Debt Remediation
- Long-Term Care Insurance Coverage Items
- Medical Assistance (Medicaid)
- Food Share
- Social Security
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and State Supplement
- SSI Disability
- SSI Exceptional Expense Supplement
- Social Security/SSI Overpayment Issues
- Railroad Retirement Benefits
Community Based Services
- Community Options Program
- Home and Community Based Medicaid Waiver Programs
Housing and Utilities
- Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)
- Wisconsin’s Weatherization Assistance Program
- Subsidized Housing Access/ Tenant Rights
- Utility Shutoffs/Unpaid Utility Bills
- Housing Repair/Improvement Loans and Grants
- Homestead Tax Credit Appeals
- Landlord/Tenant/Evictions/Security Deposit Return
- Property Tax Deferral Program
- Debt Collection Practices
- Senior Scams and fraud
- Benefit Checkup