Board of Health
- Date: 06/04/2019 5:30 PM
- Location: City-County Government Center, Room H
160 S. Macy Street
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935
Sherry L. Behnke: 5:56-7:09 p.m.
Kayla Ericksen: 5:32-7:09 p.m.
Martin S. Ryan: 5:32-7:09 p.m.
Marian Sheridan: 5:32-7:09 p.m.
Also present were Kim Mueller, Grace Dobbs, Samantha Twohig, Monica Cox and Lisa Freiberg.
1. Call meeting to order.
Vice Chair Sheridan called the meeting to order at 5:32 p.m.
2. Approve minutes of the April 2, 2019, meeting.
Motion (Ericksen/Ryan) to approve the minutes. Motion carried, 5-0.
3. Members of the public who wish to address the board on specific agenda items must register their requests at this time, with such comments subject to the reasonable control of the board chair, as set forth in “Robert’s Rules of Order.”
There was no public comment.
4. Performance management annual report.
Health Officer Kim Mueller provided the Fond du Lac County Health Department Performance Management Annual Report. She highlighted items from the report. Motion (Gudex/Ericksen) to receive the report and place on file. Motion carried, 5-0.
5. Health officer report.
a. Ms. Mueller reviewed the first quarter reports. Motion (Dornbrook/Ryan) to receive the reports and place on file. Motion carried, 5-0.
c. Sam Twohig was introduced as the oral health coordinator for the Save a Smile program.
Ms. Behnke arrived at 5:56 p.m.
Ms. Twohig gave a history and overview of the program, including how and why it was started, how the program works, participant eligibility and program challenges.
b. Ms. Mueller gave the communicable disease update, specifically on measles. She reported that there are no confirmed cases of measles in Wisconsin and that the Health Department is partnering with outside agencies on measles awareness and preparedness. Ms. Mueller updated the board on current tuberculosis cases. The department is close to having a clinic specifically for sexually transmitted infections. Ms. Mueller highlighted other communicable diseases.
d. Ms. Mueller gave a wind turbine update, providing the board with a question and answer sheet pertaining to the Wind Siting Council and health effects. She also shared a letter that was sent by the health officers of Brown, Fond du Lac and Green counties to the deputy administrator of the Division of Public Health.
Ms. Behnke took over as chair at 6:30 p.m.
6. Resolution authorizing the proper county officials to enter into an agreement to accept a $69,093 Public Health Emergency Response contract from July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2020.
Motion (Sheridan/Ryan) to approve the resolution. Motion carried, 6-0.
7. Resolution authorizing an agreement between Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Bureau of Communicable Diseases and the Fond du Lac County Health Department for the provision of tuberculosis clinical services.
Motion (Dornbrook/Ericksen) to approve the resolution. Motion carried, 6-0.
8. Resolution requesting the Wisconsin Legislature end the use of personal conviction waivers for school and day care immunizations.
Ms. Mueller explained the resolution. Motion (Sheridan/Gudex) to approve the resolution. Motion carried, 6-0.
9. Discussion on metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance and their role in community health.
Mr. Ryan shared a YouTube video on hyperinsulinemic syndrome and provided handouts about insulin resistance.
10. Future agenda items and meeting date.
The board will meet at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 6.
Motion (Sheridan/Dornbrook) to adjourn the meeting at 7:09 p.m. Motion carried, 6-0.
Lisa Freiberg, Fond du Lac County Clerk