Public Safety Committee
- Date: 06/02/2020 4:45 PM
- Location: Conference Call/City-County Government Center, Room H
160 S. Macy Street
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935
Michael C. Beer: 4:45-5:39 p.m.
Thomas M. Kitchen: 4:45-5:39 p.m.
Gary A. Will: 4:45-5:39 p.m.
Present in Room H were Allen Buechel, Ryan Waldschmidt, Jim Borgen, Eric Toney, Martin Ryan, Lisa Freiberg and Kevin R. Miller. Present on the conference call were Erin Gerred and Bobbi Hicken.
1. Call meeting to order.
Chair Will called the meeting to order at 4:45 p.m.
2. Approve minutes of the May 5, 2020, meeting.
Motion (Kitchen/Simon) to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
3. Members of the public who wish to address the committee on specific agenda items must register their requests at this time, with such comments subject to the reasonable control of the committee chair, as set forth in “Robert’s Rules of Order.”
There was no public comment.
4. Sheriff’s Office – Sheriff Ryan Waldschmidt.
a. Use of force policy, Chapter 801.
Sheriff Waldschmidt explained the policy.
b. Annual jail and annual juvenile detention inspection reports.
The inspection was done by Wisconsin Department of Corrections. A good review received.
c. Sheriff’s Office COVID-19 mitigation and response plan in the jail.
d. Resolution increasing the rates for Huber inmates in the Fond du Lac County Jail to $22 per day effective August 1, 2020.
Motion (Beer/Simon) to approve the resolution. Motion carried.
5. Department report from District Attorney Eric Toney.
District Attorney Toney provided the May DA Case List Summary Report. Staff has been working, some from home, and work hours are being staggered. The court plan has been approved; reopening will be in phases. District Attorney Toney said that with the approval, he feels jury trials will begin with precautionary measures in place. Motion (Simon/Kitchen) to receive the report and place on file. Motion carried.
6. Resolution authorizing the proper county officials to negotiate and enter into an agreement with Motorola Solutions for the purchase of a new computer-aided dispatch, records management, mobile, and jail management system.
Communications & Emergency Management Director Bobbi Hicken gave a brief explanation of the anticipated purchase. Motion (Simon/Kitchen) to approve the resolution. Motion carried.
7. Future agenda items and meeting date.
The committee will meet at 4:45 p.m. on July 7 with the Medical Examiner’s Office and Communications & Emergency Management.
Motion (Kitchen/Will) to adjourn the meeting at 5:39 p.m. Motion carried.
Lisa Freiberg, Fond du Lac County Clerk