Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q: What is the zoning for a particular property?
A: The general public can obtain zoning information for specific properties through the County’s GIS site. For detailed zoning questions the public can contact the County Planning Department, 929-3135, or the local Town or Village in which they live.

Q: Is a particular property in the flood plain?
A: The Code Enforcement Office is responsible for determining if properties are located in a flood plain. Property owners can contact the Code Enforcement Office @ 929-3139 for specific details.

Q: Can I divide my property? If so, what are the proper procedures?
A: Questions regarding dividing or splitting property should be directed to the County Planning Department @ 929-3135. The County Planning Department oversees the County Subdivision Ordinance, Chapter 48, of the County Code Book.

Q: Why do I need a survey & what type of surveys are there?
A: When dividing or splitting land within Fond du Lac County a Certified Survey Map or a Plat is required if the parcels being created are 35 acres or less. This is documented in the County Subdivision Ordinance, Chapter 48, of the County Code Book. For detailed questions the public should contact the County Planning Department @ 929-3135.

Q: What is the status of my CSM or Plat?
A: For detailed information regarding the status of a Certified Survey Map or Plat you can contact the County Planning Department directly @ 929-3135.

Q: Where do I get a building permit?
A: To obtain a building permit you must contact your local building permit issuer for your local unit of government. Fond du Lac County only issues permits for construction which falls under Shoreland Zoning. This includes all property within 300’ of a navigable waterway or 1000’ of a lake. For permits or details on Shoreland Zoning contact the County Code Enforcement Office @ 929-3139.

Q: How do I get a new address?
A: Rural addresses are issued through the Land Information Department. For detailed information contact the Land Information Department directly @ 929-3135 or go to the Land Information web page and download a Rural Address Application.

Q: Where is the County Planning Department located?
A: The County Planning Department is located on the fourth floor of the City/County Government Center, 160 South Macy Street, Fond du Lac, WI 54935.

Q: What resources are available for businesses which are considering development in Fond du Lac County?
A: Please utilize the following to explore your development options.  Fond du Lac County Economic Development Corporation: 920-929-2928.