Obtaining your divorce certificate.
If the divorce occurred in the state of Wisconsin after January 1, 2016, you can obtain the record from any Register of Deeds office in Wisconsin.
For divorces occurring before January 1, 2016 contact either the Clerk of Courts office where the divorce occurred or the Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Vital Records.
WHO MAY OBTAIN A DIVORCE CERTIFICATE
A certified copy of a divorce certificate is only available to those with a "direct and tangible interest." The guidelines are as follows:
- The person named on the record.
- A member of the immediate family of the person named on the record (i.e. parent, current spouse, sibling, grandparent, child).
- The legal custodian or guardian of the person named on the record.
- A representative authorized, in writing, by one of the above listed parties. A written and notarized authorization must accompany this applicant's request.
- A person that can demonstrate the information from the record is necessary for the determination or protection of a personal or property right; proof is required.
Requests for certified copies require proof of identification. Applicant's original ID is required for in-person applications. A photocopy of the applicant's ID is required for mail applications. Expired cards or documents will not be accepted.
Examples of acceptable forms of identification include:
ONE OF THESE:
State issued driver's license or ID card
US Government issued photo ID
US or Foreign passport
Tribal or Military ID card
TWO OF THESE:
Current, dated, signed lease
Health insurance card
Utility bill or traffic ticket
The fee schedule for a certified copy is:
Divorce Certificate - $20.00
A charge of $3.00 is required for each additional copy of the same record issued at the same time.
HOW TO REQUEST A DIVORCE CERTIFICATE
- In-Person Requests
- Vital Records may be ordered in-person by visiting our office at 160 S Macy St, Fond du Lac, WI 54935. Application forms may be completed prior to your visit (see FORMS below). Identification is required.
- Payment Methods: Cash, credit card or debit card, cashier's check or money order only.
- Mail Requests
- Vital Records may be ordered with a request / completed application form (see FORMS below) mailed to: Fond du Lac County Register of Deeds, PO Box 509, Fond du Lac, WI 54936. A photocopy of identification is required.
- Payment Methods: Cash, cashier's check or money order only.
- Online Requests
- Vital Records may be ordered online using VitalChek. Additional processing fees will apply to orders made online. After placing your order, you will be required to submit identification along with your signature in order to complete your request.
- Payment Methods: Credit card or debit card.