Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

FAQ’s – Financial Assistance

How do I report Welfare Fraud?

To report welfare fraud, you may call the Fraud Hotline at 1-877-865-3432.

How do I become a certified Child Care Provider?

If you are interested in becoming a Certified Child Care Provider or have any questions, please contact Fond du Lac County Day Care Certifier at 920-929-7521 or 920-929-3247.

How do I apply for financial assistance?

To apply for benefits, you can click here to apply online or you can contact Moraine Lakes Consortium, serving Fond du Lac, Ozaukee, Washington, Waukesha, and Walworth Counties, at 1-888-446-1239, TTY: 711, Fax: 1-855-293-1822.  Call Moraine Lakes Consortium to: apply for benefits, report changes, ask questions, and make an appointment.

FAQ’S – Child Welfare

How do I report Child Abuse or Neglect?

During regular business hours 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, contact the Dept. of Social Services at 920-929-3400.

After Hours contact your Local Law Enforcement Agency.

FAQ – Foster Program

Why are children placed in foster care?

In many instances children are placed in foster care due to abuse or neglect or unavailability of parents or relatives to provide care.  Parents may also request placement due to an inability to care for the child. 

I am a single parent, may I still be licensed as a foster parent?

Foster parents may be single, married, widowed or be in a significant long term partnership.  Foster parents may own their own home or may rent.

How long does it take to become licensed as a foster parent?

This process may take approximately two to three months to complete.   There are circumstances that may require more time such as requiring more information, awaiting references, background checks and other documents.  The process allows an opportunity for agency coordinators to learn about the family, potential foster parents to learn about the agency, to assure a good fit for children and for the family to learn more about the program and make an educated decision and plan to foster.

How long are children in foster care?

Children may be in foster care for one day or longer.  The goal of foster care is assist the family in improving their situation so that the child can return to their home that is safe and can meet the needs of the child.  The goal is to provide a permanent home for the child.  If after 15 months it is likely that the child cannot return home in the near future, and certain other elements exist, the plan may move to permanent placement with a fit and willing relative or adoption.  The child’s biological family and the foster family will be a part of the process of planning for permanency for the child throughout the time the child is in care.

How are foster parents compensated for the care of the child?

The State of Wisconsin has a Uniform Fee Schedule for reimbursement to Foster Parents.  Payments to foster parents are considered reimbursement for expenses to meet the child’s needs and are not considered income in most instances.  For more information, View the Uniform Foster Care Rate Schedule.

FAQ - General:

What community presentations are currently available?

  • Mandated Reporter/Overview of Child Abuse and Neglect
  • W-2, Medical Assistance, FoodShare
  • Juvenile Services
  • Foster Care
  • Youth Independent Living/Transitional Living Services
  • Long-Term Care
  • Adult Protective Services/Elder Abuse
  • Civil Rights (for Fond du Lac County employees)
  • Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) (for Fond du Lac County employees)
  • Juvenile Court Process Overview


What services are available to assist families?

In the Child and Family Service Unit Social Workers are involved in working with families on an on-going basis (after the initial assessment determination) help the family identify and work toward certain goals.  The purpose of setting goals is to minimize risk to the child and prevent neglect or abuse from occurring.  Our hope is to help families function in a more positive and healthy manner.  Social Workers continue assisting families until the goals are met.  There are 2 ways in which our unit becomes involved.

  • Informal Supervision - Although the Dept. of Social Services prefers to work with families on a voluntary basis, it's sometimes necessary to refer to court.  The greater the harm or injury to the children in a family the more likely the situation will need to be reviewed at an intake inquiry at Juvenile Court Services.  The intake worker assesses the need for court involvement.  If the case is handled informally an Informal Agreement is signed outlining rules of supervision and appropriate services for the family.   This signed contract means that the case does not go to court and is in effect for six months.  The family may or may not continue to work with the Dept. of Social Services beyond the initial six months depending on whether or not the informal agreement was satisfactorily met.

  • Court Ordered Supervision - In some cases the children are at a greater degree of harm or injury and a referral for court ordered supervision appears necessary, usually for a period of one year.  This is to ensure that parental follow-through with services will occur to eliminate the home conditions which placed the children in situations of abuse and/or neglect.  This referral results in a CHIPS (Child In need of Protection and Services) petition to juvenile court.  The court hears the case and makes a determination as to the conditions by which the family must follow.

FAQ’s – Birth to 3 Program

What is the Birth to Three Program?

Fond du Lac County’s Birth to Three Programs provides early intervention services to eligible children who have developmental delays and disabilities.  If you are concerned about your child’s development please call 920-929-7106 to request a free developmental screening. 

Will the Birth to Three Program cost me anything?

Eligibility for this program is not affected by the family’s income; however, parents may need to contribute to the cost of services.

How do I make a referral to Birth to 3 or receive more information?

To make a referral please call: (920) 929-7106

FAQ’s - Aging and Disability Resource Center

Who should use the Aging and Disability Resource Center?

The Aging and Disability Resource Center services frail elders, adults with physical and developmental disabilities.

Why would I contact the Aging and Disability resource Center?

The Aging and disability resource center staff assists the general public in navigating a complex service system.  They can prevent or delay the need for the long-term care system, through appropriate referral to services that the person wants or needs.  You will get the information that you need to make an informed choice about what is available and get linked to services and programs that provide services.

What services does the Aging and Disability Resource Center offer?

The Aging and Disability provides:

  • Information and Assistance to services and programs
  • Long Term Care Options counseling
  • Screening for Long Term Care Programs
  • Disability Benefit Specialist
  • Adult at risk investigation
  • Elder abuse/neglect investigation
  • Court/guardianship services

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer