Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


When will I receive my property tax bill?
You can expect to receive your property tax bill in the mail by mid-December, annually.  Property tax bills are mailed to the owner of record.  For your convenience, duplicate copies of the tax bills are available on our website at
In accordance with Wisconsin Statute 74.09(6), failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the obligation to pay real estate taxes.

How do I change a name on my property tax bill?
Record a deed in the Register of Deed's Office. Our records reflect the most recent recorded document.

How do I change my mailing address?
Complete and Address Change Form and mail it to the Land Information Department.

Why did I receive a tax bill when my mortgage company should pay the taxes?
Tax bills are mailed to the property owner. If your mortgage company is to pay the taxes, you should forward a copy of the tax bill to your mortgage company.

Can I tell the mortgage company when I want my taxes paid?
Yes. Contact your mortgage company and ask for the "Tax Escrow Option Notice". This
form instructs your lender to pay your taxes in the year of the tax (by Dec 31) OR in full on Jan 31 OR by prescribed installment dates.

If I wish to mail my payment, how can I be sure that it gets in on time?
Our office honors United States Postal Service postmarks, not metered marks.  If your payment is mailed in a properly addressed envelope and postmarked on or before the due date, it will processed as a timely payment.  If you mail on the last day the tax is due - please have the post office hand cancel your envelope.

How do I obtain a copy of my property tax payment receipt?
- If a return receipt is requested, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope when submitting payment and a receipt will be mailed to you.
- If you have misplaced or would like a duplicate copy of your receipt, you may obtain a copy  on the Fond du Lac County website.  Log onto

What determines a timely payment
A payment is considered timely if it is mailed in a properly addressed envelope with a US postmark (not metered mail), before midnight of the last day prescribed for making payment. 

What happens if I’m late in paying my taxes?
If payment is not made by the due dates, the installment option is lost.  All delinquent taxes are subject to interest and penalty charges from February 1 until paid (fraction of a month counts as a whole month).  See reverse side of your property tax bill for complete explanation.

Does the County Treasurer’s office offer tax payment plans?
Yes.  We encourage taxpayers to arrange tax payment plans with our office.  Contact the our office at 920-929-3010 to make payment arrangements.

Can the county waive interest and penalty fees?
There is no provision in the governing statutes or ordinance which authorizes the county to waive the imposition of interest and penalties.
- Section 74.47(1), WI Stats., provides for an interest rate of one percent per month or fraction of a month to accrue on delinquent taxes.
- Section 74.47(2), authorizes a county to impose a penalty of up to 0.5% per month or fraction of a month on delinquent taxes, by ordinance.
- By ordinance adopted by Resolution No. 59-83, dated July 19, 1983, the Fond du Lac County Board of Supervisors imposed a penalty of 0.5% per month or fraction of a month on all delinquent real estate taxes that are overdue or delinquent on and after the effective date of the ordinance.

What did I pay in property taxes last year?
This information is available on your tax receipts.  We encourage you to request, save, and file your receipts so you have them available when prepare your income tax returns.  Payment information is available on our website.  Log onto or contact the County Treasurer’s office at 920-929-3010.